   Re: XML over HTTP: SOAP and ...?

  • From: Stefan Haustein <haustein@kimo.cs.uni-dortmund.de>
  • To: xml-dev@xml.org
  • Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2000 11:38:49 +0100

David Megginson wrote:

> Yes, and that's how a lot of people do it.  The potential advantage of
> an RPC layer is that it gives a standard way to invoke specific
> services on either side, so it's possible to write generic, reusable
> higher-level libraries; for example, you could call x = y.getSomething();
> and not know (or have to know) whether y.getSomething() was a method
> on a local object or an HTTP transaction.

At least, with SOAP you have the choice:
You can use transparent RPC or do everything
"by hand" like you would do using direct socket
connections. Especially if you don't like
transparent access to remote procedures and prefer
direct socket connections, dealing with SOAP seems
much simpler than decoding/encoding binary formats
like IIOP or similar "by hand". So the
offer is not just another RPC mechanism but
the pontential to bring both worlds together.

For example, I wouldn't expect to get
IIOP on my palm pilot, but a nice little
XML (CXML) parser, why not? And why should
I wait for SyncML or RDF extensions if
I can communicate with (e.g.) Outlook using
SOAP?

In my opinion, one of the most interesting
things SOAP offers is a standard way
to serialize higer level data structures
(much more pragmatically than RDF). W3 and
OMG failed in provide anything really useable
so far. However, I would still prefer
XML-RPC + a nice object serilization
format over SOAP just because I do not want
to depend on MS (Just look at RTF)...

Best regards

Stefan

--