   Re: Id vs. ID in SAX

  • From: Walter Underwood <wunder@infoseek.com>
  • To: xml-dev <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2000 09:15:03 -0800

At 09:51 AM 3/9/00 -0800, Elliotte Rusty Harold wrote:
>Since the word ID is capitalized in common usage, it should be
>capitalized in Java names as well. This is similar to how URL is
>captialized in class names like java.net.URL and method names like
>getURL() in the Java core library.

Of course, "ID" and "Id" are rather different things (think
"ego" and "superego").

Sun is inconsistant, with java.net.URL (very early code) and
javax.servlet.http.HttpUtils (more recent).

Their coding conventions document says "first letter of each
internal word capitalized", which is probably unabiguous, but
could be more explicit about acronyms.

 From http://java.sun.com/docs/codeconv/html/CodeConventions.doc8.html

    Class names should be nouns, in mixed case with the first letter
    of each internal word capitalized. Try to keep your class names
    simple and descriptive. Use whole words-avoid acronyms and
    abbreviations (unless the abbreviation is much more widely used
    than the long form, such as URL or HTML).

Our libraries use all caps for acronyms.

wunder
--
Walter R. Underwood
Senior Staff Engineer