   Re: Id vs. ID in SAX

  • From: Toby Speight <Toby.Speight@streapadair.freeserve.co.uk>
  • To: "XML developers' list" <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: 09 Mar 2000 20:50:45 +0000

Walter> Walter Underwood <URL:mailto:wunder@infoseek.com>

0> In article <4.3.1.20000309090241.00ddaec0@corp.infoseek.com>,
0> Walter wrote:

Walter> Sun is inconsistent, with java.net.URL (very early code) and
Walter> javax.servlet.http.HttpUtils (more recent).
Walter>
Walter> Their coding conventions document says "first letter of each
Walter> internal word capitalized", which is probably unabiguous, but
Walter> could be more explicit about acronyms.

I tend to prefer to case acronyms as I would real words.  One case
(sorry) where this makes it easier is when two acronyms abut each
other: for example, do you find java.net.HTTPURLConnection easier to
read, or java.net.HttpUrlConnection?[1] Most people find mixed case
easier to read - that's why road signs aren't in all-caps[2] and why
people get flamed for posting like that.  All-caps deprives the
reader of the cue given by the profile of the word (because of its
rectangular shape).  It's possibly a little obsessive to worry about
this for just two letters, but I hope it's food for thought in other
contexts.

[1] This example is deliberately flawed - the actual name is
    java.net.HttpURLConnection, which doesn't even redeem itself with
    consistency.

[2] In Britain at least.  I've noticed on trips to the US that there
    is greater use there of uppercase, and less of icons.  I notice
    the extra time it takes to interpret the signs.