   RE: Anti-Ranti

  • From: "Don Park" <donpark@docuverse.com>
  • To: <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 21:46:43 -0800

While XML-DEV does not represent the whole XML development community,
it represents "the few that leads" and "the tip of changes to come."
There are people outside the list who affect the future of XML greatly
but even they can not ignore the opinions of XML-DEV members.  As Rick
wrote, [the greater mass] don't have time or inclination to participate
so it is mostly an inert mass when it comes to making of standards.  In
more brutal words, they donot or cannot give a damn what we do.

They do care about what we have done.   However, they are powerless to
react because things are already cast in iron.  By iron, I am not just
refering to recommendation but adoption-in-depth by major companies.
So, XML-DEV is the 'man on the spot'.  XML-DEV members must, as a whole,
diligently lookout for the benefit of the greater mass of XML developers,
just as Rick is doing for his clients in Asia.

While I am not sure that there is a broad consensus that W3C must change,
I think everyone will agree that everyone of us are affected greatly by
what W3C does and therefore are overly sensitive to the health and well
being of W3C.  Simply put, we want it to be better.  Our criticisms of
W3C are positive criticisms: open up IG archives, reply to our comments,
etc.  We want W3C to be better.  No doubt about it.  If changes are
needed, so be it.

Regarding Rick's belittling comments related to SML-DEV, I will just
point out that SML-DEV's 20/80 activity pattern is normal as XML-DEV's
own activity shows.

Best,

Don Park    -   mailto:donpark@docuverse.com
Docuverse   -   http://www.docuverse.com