   RE: entities in XML Schema

  • From: "DuCharme, Robert" <DuCharmR@moodys.com>
  • To: xml-dev <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 10:23:43 -0500

>Henry Thompson wrote:
>>"Mark Volkmann" <volkmann@inlink.com> writes:
>> I've poured over all three parts of the XML Schema working draft (0, 1 &
2)
>> and cannot find anything similar to entity definitions in DTDs. Am I
missing
>> it or has that functionality been omitted from XML Schema on purpose?

>Yes.  Since XML Schema begins work on the infoset of a well-formed
>(perhaps valid) XML document, parsed entity definition substitution
>has already taken place.

Also note that the Schema proposal provides more structured (and, in my
opinion, better) features to replace just about all uses of parameter
entities. And, check out the XInclude proposal
(http://www.w3.org/TR/xinclude), which offers some improvements over common
uses of external general entities.

Bob DuCharme          www.snee.com/bob           <bob@
snee.com>  "The elements be kind to thee, and make thy
spirits all of comfort!" Anthony and Cleopatra, III ii