   Re: Anti-Ranti

  • From: David Brownell <david-b@pacbell.net>
  • To: Michael Champion <mike.champion@softwareag-usa.com>, xml-dev@XML.ORG
  • Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 11:55:28 -0800

Agreed that comments _can_ come before PR/CR, though I'll highlight your
comment that "it takes a lot of faith, hope, naivete, or resources to
implement WDs" ... but having multiple interoperable implementations is
the primary test necessary to justify standardization.

> Mind you, I agree that many working groups are not sufficiently responsive
> to outside input, but this is the style of the WGs, not the policy of the
> W3C.

That was actually the essence of my comment:

   There are significant numbers of folk who don't think that [W3C is]
   actually set up to really respond to such input effectively, though,
   and that's from actually trying to use that process.  For example,
   just a month exists to respond externally to a PR, and turning up
   problems with a CR doesn't guarantee any attempt to fix them.

   Point being, the severe constraints W3C has placed on its ability
   to be responsive to non-members is at the root of that problem too.

I suppose it's true that any organization only moves forward by the
actions of "good" members, but W3C policy doesn't set an expectation
that such actions be the norm.  Ergo they won't be.

- Dave