   RE: Mixing HTML markup with XML and CSS

  • From: "Didier PH Martin" <martind@netfolder.com>
  • To: "Lisa Retief" <lisa@exinet.co.za>, <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 22:27:48 -0500

HI Lisa,

Lisa said:
I need to render XML docs using CSS 2.0 and a browser which supports doing
this. The browser also supports rendering HTML with CSS 2.0. I don't have a
problem doing either of these two things.

Didier replies:
You can do that with Mozilla (http://www.mozilla.org) the latest release has
an install program and is more stable than before. you can mix html elements
with your own xml elements as long as the HTML elements are xmlized. For
example to include a script in your xml document you write:

So, your xml document can be styled with a CSS1/2 (I would say 1 1/2 more
than 2 since not all CSS2 features are implemented). Each HTML elements
properly associated to the html name space are interpreted by the browser as
usual. You also have minimal xlink:simple interpretation. Thus to summarize:

Mozilla render XML document with css,
if the XML document contains HTML constructs they are interpreted as usual
if the XML document contains xlink constructs they are interpreted also.

Cheers
Didier PH Martin
Email: martind@netfolder.com
Conferences: Web Chicago(http://www.mfweb.com)