   XPath and DOM (was RE: need for defining standard APIs for xml storage)

  • From: Leigh Dodds <ldodds@ingenta.com>
  • To: Xml-Dev <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 21:00:42 +0100

[regarding using XPath in the DOM API]

> So, what about DOM3? maybe we can ask for such a useful function.
> I still do not understand why the DOM people forgot it in the DOM2
specs???
> Maybe their> case usage model is to be changed. DOM is not solely useful
for scripts to
> be executed in browsers. Or, maybe the DOM WG is now considering
> to add this kind of function. Does it?

See [1]. And also a reply from Lauren Wood [2] which suggests that the
DOM WG would be happy to see suggestions for DOM Level 3.

I believe [3] is the correct place to address suggestions which should
hopefully get incorporated into the requirements gathering.

I've no idea whether the idea(s) raised during that discussion have
been discussed by the WG. Although hopefully we won't have long to
wait - the DOM Activity page [4] indicates that first WD for
Level 3 may be available in April

[1].
http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail-archive/xml-dev/xml-dev-Dec-1999/0545.ht
ml