   Re: xml search engine?

  • From: "Robert A. (Bob) Morris" <ram@cs.umb.edu>
  • To: Dongwook Shin <dwshin@nlm.nih.gov>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2000 08:22:56 -0500 (EST)

Dongwook Shin writes:
 > Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 08:46:13 -0500
 > From: Dongwook Shin <dwshin@nlm.nih.gov>
 > To: xml-dev@xml.org
 > Subject: Re: xml search engine?
 >

 > The real issue about the XML search engine that can work across
 > multiple DTDs is how we can associate "a name" in a DTD with
 > "another
 > name" in another DTD. Unfortunately, I cannot find any formal
 > background to allow this, except the notion of vocabulary matching.
 > Even in vocabulary matching (or transformation), we need some
 > mapping in advace, which can not be obtained automatically.
 > If we can get some mapping, it could be by heuristics, I believe.

There is a body of literature addressing this kind of problem,
including as applied to XML, in the Semi-Structured Data community. See
the book "Data on the Web, From Relations to Semistructured Data and
XML", Serge Abiteboul, Peter Buneman, and Dan Suciu, published by
Morgan Kaufman, 2000.

Bob Morris