   Re: Parser Behaviour (serious)

  • From: "Frank Boumphrey" <bckman@ix.netcom.com>
  • To: <xml-dev@xml.org>, "Peter Murray-Rust" <peter@ursus.demon.co.uk>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2000 12:55:08 -0400

For XHTML only, if you change the suffix to 'htm' you will not get this
behavior. In the XHTML WG we were a little worried that when XHTML became
popular as XML the W3C site would not be able to cope with all the calls to
the DTD!

But i agree with you, this is a problem, when one is of line one either has
to comment out the DOCTYPE declaration or not.

The MSXML parser incidently has the option to switch of expansion of
external entities, and i believe this option is available in the latest
releases of IE5 ( but I havnt tried this.)

I believe that the correct solution is to have all parsers give this option
to the client.

The other solution would require a change to XML. IOW allow the resolution
URL to be optional, and let just a public Declaration be used. Conforming
parsers could then be instructed that they should only validate if the URI
is given.

Frank

Frank