   Re: Parser Behaviour (serious)

  • From: "Steve Muench" <smuench@us.oracle.com>
  • To: <martind@netfolder.com>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2000 10:08:55 -0700

| Didier replies:
| Thank you Steve for the precision. So it seems that
| this behavior is OK because, indeed, there can be default attribute
| values. Therefore, the DTD document can be considered as an integral
| part to the XML document. So, the right thing to do then is to
| remove the DTD declaration from the XML document.

It's unclear to me whether the standalone="yes"
on the XML Declaration is supposed to be a signal
to the processor that "it's ok *not* to go fetch
the DTD because I promise that I *don't* have
anything in there that will affect the information
you need to pass to the program".

My hunch on this point comes from the following
paragraph in Section 2.9 of the XML 1.0 spec:

<< In a standalone document declaration, the value "yes"
   indicates that there are no markup declarations external
   to the document entity (either in the DTD external subset,
   or in an external parameter entity referenced from the
   internal subset) which affect the information passed
   from the XML processor to the application. >>

This seems to tell me "it's ok to ignore the external DTD"
for non-validating parsing purposes, but there might be
something subtle in there I'm missing...