   Re: Parser Behaviour (serious)

  • From: John Aldridge <john.aldridge@informatix.co.uk>
  • To: xml-dev@XML.ORG
  • Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2000 11:28:12 +0100

At 14:57 02/04/00 -0400, "Liam R. E. Quin" <liamquin@interlog.com> wrote:
>On Sun, 2 Apr 2000, Tim Bray wrote:
>> Another option is
>> you could implement a Public Identifier resolver, which is pretty easy
>> even though there's not yet a standardized interoperable scheme for this.
>
>Public identfiers don't help here --
>
>Consider:
><!DOCTYPE boy
>    PUBLIC "anything you like"
>    "http://www.xml.com/doctypes/boy.dtd"
>>

>You are still required to resolve the system identifier, and you can't.

Huh?

"An XML processor attempting to retrieve the entity's content may use the
public identifier to try to generate an alternative URI.  _If_ it is unable
to do so, it must use the URI specified in the system literal."

(my stress)

>The right answer is a URL resolver with a cache, like a web browser
>with an "offline" mode.

No, at least not for my applications.  Some of the machines involved do not
have an internet connection of any sort.

>I agree with David and Tim that the XML processor should have a
>switch to turn off DTD processing, and do *not* agree that we
>need a more complex specification for this.

Again, this doesn't help me.  I _do_ want validation, and I _do_ want
default attributes.  I just need a (standard) way of telling a processor
how to find a DTD which I have installed somewhere on the local machine.
--
Cheers,
John