   Re: How would I do this?

  • From: Francis Norton <francis@redrice.com>
  • To: Henry Fieglein <henry_fieglein@dgbank.de>
  • Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2000 20:53:07 +0100

Henry Fieglein wrote:

> What I would like to do is define a stub which then references the data:
> -- errorhead.xml --
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8">
> <!DOCTYPE ERRORS SYSTEM "errors.dtd">
> <ERRORS>
>         <XLINK "errors.xml">
> </ERRORS>
>
> and then the data would grow in the errors.xml file.

I would "refer the honourable member to my previous answer" (to Ravi
Ramamirtham) but it doesn't seem to have got through yet.

I don't know how you feel about XSLT. I imagine it is more heavyweight
than xlink, but it is in a reasonably advanced state of implementation
and adoption. You could do what you want by processing errorhead.xml
with the following server-side XSLT, or as the XSLT rec becomes adopted
by MS (and possibly Mozilla), doing it client-side:

<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"

  <!-- stick an xpath expression matching "ERRORS" here -->
  <xsl:template match="//ERRORS">
    <!-- specify your replacement file here -->
    <xsl:copy-of select="document('errors.xml')" />
  </xsl:template>

  <!-- just copy everything else -->
  <xsl:template match="@*|node()">
    <xsl:copy>