   How would I do this?

  • From: Henry Fieglein <henry_fieglein@dgbank.de>
  • To: xml-dev <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: 04 Apr 2000 11:00:26 +0200

Hello everyone,
I have the following problem.  I am producing n error log which is XML so that it can be viewed in a browser.  The problem of course is the end tag:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8">
<!DOCTYPE ERRORS SYSTEM "errors.dtd">
<ERRORS>
	<ERROR id=1 severity="HIGH">
		<APPLICATION>Mapper</APPLICATION>
		<ERRORTEXT>This is an error %s with the mapping from %s to %s.</ERRORTEXT>
		<VARIABLES>
			<VARIABLE type="string">converting the interest rate</VARIABLE>
			<VARIABLE type="string">System 1</VARIABLE>
			<VARIABLE type="string">System 2</VARIABLE>
		</VARIABLES>
		<ERRORMSG>
			<OLK_MESSAGE>...
			</OLK_MESSAGE>
		<ERRORMSG>
	</ERROR>
	<ERROR id=1 severity="HIGH">
		<APPLICATION>Mapper</APPLICATION>
		<ERRORTEXT>This is an error %s with the mapping from %s to %s.</ERRORTEXT>
		<VARIABLES>
			<VARIABLE type="string">converting the interest rate</VARIABLE>
			<VARIABLE type="string">System 3</VARIABLE>
			<VARIABLE type="string">System 4</VARIABLE>
		</VARIABLES>
		<ERRORMSG>
			<OLK_MESSAGE>...
			</OLK_MESSAGE>
		<ERRORMSG>
	</ERROR>
</ERRORS>

What I would like to do is define a stub which then references the data:
-- errorhead.xml --
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8">
<!DOCTYPE ERRORS SYSTEM "errors.dtd">
<ERRORS>
	<XLINK "errors.xml">
</ERRORS>

and then the data would grow in the errors.xml file.

Can I do this and do I have the correct syntax?  Must the XLINK reference a well-defined XML file or can it reference something like the errors.xml that I describe?

Thanks,
Henry Fieglein