   Catalogs (was Re: Parser Behaviour (serious))

  • From: Peter Murray-Rust <peter@ursus.demon.co.uk>
  • To: xml-dev@xml.org
  • Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2000 00:32:21 +0100

At 11:28 AM 4/3/00 -0500, Paul Grosso wrote:

>In fact, I think using PUBLIC identifiers with a catalog to map
>them (and maybe SYSTEM mapping entries in that catalog) is a good
>way to address a major aspect of this problem.

Paul,
	I think this is a really useful approach for some of the problems. It
solves the tidy/XHTML problem - which is a good illustration of good
practice (i.e. a meaningful PUBID and a meaningful SYSID). Before Norm/you
announced catalog support it was rather "academic", but I will
enthusiastically endorse catalogs - I used them with SGML on CML and so
they must be manageable with XML. I will start to think about distributing
PUBIDs with CML files.

	Catalogs also allow people to understand what is going on locally and to
manage it.

	P.