   Re: using catalog files (Was Re:Parser Behaviour (Serious))

  • From: Peter Murray-Rust <peter@ursus.demon.co.uk>
  • To: xml-dev@XML.ORG
  • Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2000 00:22:38 +0100

At 10:01 AM 4/4/00 -0400, Norman Walsh wrote:
>/ Bruce.Durling@equifax.com was heard to say:
>| I've heard a number of people mention using catalog
>| files. I've thought about this myself and it seems to be a
>| solution. Can anyone give an example of how to use them with
>| current parsers such as Xerces? I've been looking through the
>
>I'm happy to announce (er, I probably ought to let someone else
>make the official announcement, but what the heck :-) that
>Arbortext has just released a set of Java classes for exactly
>this purpose.

I am very pleased at this announcement (I had to keep it secret for 12
hours or so!). I think it is an important step towards the correct
packaging and transmission of multicomponent documents.

I haven't yet downloaded it, but I am delighted to see it includes
examples. These are a very powerful way of learning to use something.

Bruce,
	I am delighted you were brave enough to announce yourself as a confusbie -
I think there are a lot of others in this category including myself at
frequent intervals. XML is a simple concept at start, but its
implementation is not always. It is useful to have the background of SGML
which has tackled many of the complex problems - some successfully, others
not - and catalogs stem from this tradition.