   Re: XML with embedded docs?

  • From: Reinout van Rees <rr@cti036.citg.tudelft.nl>
  • To: xml-dev <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2000 17:42:43 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 4 Apr 2000, David C. Mason wrote:

> We are building a slide presentation application for Linux. I have
> been suggesting that we use XML for the file format of saved
> presentations. This has obvious benefits but it has one major drawback
> in our case:
>
> We are creating this app with a component system (Bonobo) which allows
> the user to, for example, save a spreadsheet *within* their
> presentation slide. So here we have another file format(not XML) that
> needs to be embedded into an xml file. As far as my knowledge takes
> me, XML is a bit too "flat" for this - or is it? How can this be
> handled in such a way that we still end up with a valid XML document?
> Can it?

The KDE office seems to put all info in xml files, both spreadsheet,
docs and presentations. Embedding them inside eachother shouldn't be a
problem. Look at that project for some ideas.

Should you wish to integrate binary data (like a 'normal' spreadsheet
file) in your xml, I bet you have to use a xlink or so, just like you
would with an image.

Greetings,

Reinout

--