   Re: Feature Manifest (Was:RE: Parser Behaviour (serious))

  • From: THOMAS PASSIN <tpassin@idsonline.com>
  • To: <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2000 08:57:57 -0400

Michael Champion observed -

I don't see it. The only legacy browser so far that deals with xml is
Internet Explorer 5 (I don't count IE4 because it isn't useful for display).
But it doesn't yet do style sheets per the xslt/xpath standard, nor schemas
per the current draft, nor xlink, so you have to write non-standard things
for IE5 anyway.  Other legacy browsers can't make any useful display out of
xml except perhaps for xhtml. When the new parser is incorporated into IE,
we presumably also won't have PIs displayed when we don't want them (I
haven't tried this, I don't have it installed).

So I don't see the objection to using PIs.

OTOH, an element at the start of a document could do the same job. xslt uses
xsl:output in this way.  A parser that cared could look for an element
<murrayrust:mandatory list="enternalentities,namespaces"/>, for example.
Otherwise it would be ignored.

Tom Passin