   Re: Feature Manifest (Was:RE: Parser Behaviour (serious))

  • From: "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@simonstl.com>
  • To: THOMAS PASSIN <tpassin@idsonline.com>, <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2000 11:11:45 -0400

At 08:57 AM 4/7/00 -0400, THOMAS PASSIN wrote:
>So I don't see the objection to using PIs.

The specific objection you noted - that PIs show up in browsers - really
only applies to XHTML, where browsers use HTML parsers that don't
understand PIs.

The more general statement that the W3C somehow see PIs as evil is more or
less gossip, substantiated publicly only by:

"The W3C does not anticipate recommending the use of processing
instructions in any future specification." (from Associating Stylesheets)

There was also the changeover from PIs to attributes in the Namespaces
spec, though in theory that was about scoping, not moral objection to PIs.

I'd love to see some kind of official comment on PIs, since I think they'd
be extremely useful for a number of tasks, including putting scripts
(processing, right?) into XML documents.

The status of PIs is an important issue, I think.

Simon St.Laurent
Building XML Applications
Cookies / Sharing Bandwidth
http://www.simonstl.com