   Re: XML doc valid against more than one DTD / Schema

  • From: "Wayne Steele" <xmlmaster@hotmail.com>
  • To: charlie@ramseysystems.co.uk, xml-dev@xml.org
  • Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2000 12:41:27 PDT

>From: "Charles McCay" <charlie@ramseysystems.co.uk>
>
>I am working with a complex DTD for a full medical record, and want to
>define a simpler subset that could be used just for discharge letters.

That's an interesting problem. The best answer I can think of right now is
to define a public identifier (PUBID) for each "DTD-Subset" you have
envisioned. Systems that only implement a subset of the DTD will need to
resolve the PUBID to get the proper slim version. Systems that have
implemented "the whole monty" can just map all these different PUBIDs to the
same big DTD. Alternately, if the SYSID always points to the full version,
they could scrap the PubID resolution at this point.

Or you could turn this on its head: The "Lite" version resolves the SYSID to
get the proper "Lite" DTD. The "Full" system uses either 1) the PUBID, or 2)
a PI in the Lite DTD, to clue it that this information is sematically
identical to (insert big DTD here).

Some of the SGML veterans have, I suspect, actually built things like this.

-Wayne Steele