   Re: XML doc valid against more than one DTD / Schema

  • From: David Wang <dwang@mitre.org>
  • To: charlie@ramseysystems.co.uk
  • Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 15:03:54 -0400

> I am working with a complex DTD for a full medical record, and want to
> define a simpler subset that could be used just for discharge letters.  This
> would include restricting some of the enumerated attributes, and providing
> FIXED values for others, and removing some of the optional elements.

You are thinking of yanking out some subset of a valid, complex DTD and have
the subset be the "DTD" against which your documents are compared against.
Architectural Forms provide this facility, amongst others, and is a close
conceptual match to what you want.

Basically, the complex DTD would be the meta DTD (in AF speak) and the simpler
subset would be the client DTD that derives elements, attributes, and
notations from its meta DTD(s).  Your client documents would be validated
against the client DTD, and you can restrict/fix/extend values however you
wish.

Now, whether Architectural Forms is feasible and what state it's in, this list
has the answers to that question...  But here's something to get it started.
:-)

/David