   Re: Document Feature Requirements [was: Common XML ...]

  • From: Steve Rowe <sarowe@textwise.com>
  • To: "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@simonstl.com>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2000 20:16:55 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 8 Apr 2000, Simon St.Laurent wrote:

> At 01:09 AM 4/8/00 -0400, Steven Rowe wrote:
> >Is it not ironic that Common XML, an attempt to increase interoperability,
> >excludes PIs, which are likely to be the mechanism which will be proposed
> >to express document feature requirements, another attempt to increase
> >interoperability.
>
> It would be ironic, except that Common XML doesn't exclude PIs.  It just
> keeps them out of the core set of safely interoperable features.

Please forgive my ignorance; Common XML *Core* excludes PIs.  It appears
that you've intentionally left the boundary between XML and Common XML
fuzzy, if not altogether invisible.  Of course Common XML doesn't exclude
anything in XML.  It *is* XML.

If CXML is intended to partition XML features, the naming scheme needs
work.

Steve Rowe
MNIS-TextWise Labs