   Re: Array content model

  • From: "Anthony B. Coates, ESL +61 2 9373 7972" <tony.coates@reuters.com>
  • To: John.OSullivan@chase.com, xml-dev@lists.oasis-open.org
  • Date: Sun, 09 Apr 2000 12:12:35 +1000

** Reply to message from John.OSullivan@chase.com on Wed, 5 Apr 2000 10:06:29
+0100

Dear John,

	I would suggest having an enclosing tag, but not "items".  Basically, if you
do not have an enclosing tag for each items, you force onto the <item> tag a
semantic assumption that all items are part of what is being purchased.  In the
short term, that may be fine, but "item" is such a common idea that you may want
to re-use it for something different somewhere down the track (as other posters
have already pointed out).

	However, if you must enclose <item> tags with something, then <items> is not
an ideal choice, because it tells you nothing of added value.  Instead, how
about something like a <contents> or <manifest> tag, which really sets the
context for the items?

	I'm happy to discuss this further if you like, since Reuters has an interest
in FpML.

	Cheers,
			Tony.