   [ANN] First release of Minimal XML (aka SML) parser

  • From: "Don Park" <donpark@docuverse.com>
  • To: "XML-DEV (E-mail)" <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2000 00:31:51 -0700

Min, Java Minimal XML parser, is released.  This version will
parse Minimal XML (aka SML) as specified in the preliminary
spec at:

  http://www.docuverse.com/smldev/minxmlspec.html

It supports SAX 1.0 and JAXP (Java API for XML Parsers).
You can download the distribution ZIP file at:

  http://www.docuverse.com/min/

It includes binary and source code JAR files and JavaDoc
API documentation.  There is also a utility class for
converting XML files into MinXML files.  You can just
use the minimize.bat batch file like this once you have
the binary JAR in your CLASSPATH:

  minimize foo.xml foo.min [UTF-8 | UTF-16]

UTF-8 is default.  You can use any extension you like
although I am using .min because .sml no longer makes
sense.

On my Celeron laptop, it zips through Minimal XML files
at around 6 megabytes of UTF-8 data per second and over
10 megabytes of UTF-16 data per second.  Sun's XML parser
parses at about 3 megabytes/sec on UTF-8 and 4 megabytes
per second on UTF-16.  Min used to report events via a
custom API called MAX (Minimal API for XML :) but I
switched to SAX despite about 10% performance penalty
because people would have to rewrite code to use Min.
I might release a MAX version later.

Please give Min a spin and let me know what you think.
Bug reports are obviously welcome.

Best,

Don Park    -   mailto:donpark@docuverse.com
Docuverse   -   http://www.docuverse.com