   RE: Common XML (was Re: Document Feature Requirements)

  • From: "Don Park" <donpark@docuverse.com>
  • To: <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 21:12:09 -0700

>That means that you're going to get XML => proprietary internal
>storage => XML, where the XML that comes out may or may not bear any
>resemblance to the XML that goes in -- elements, attributes, PIs, and
>even character data may come out completely transformed (or not at
>all), because equivalence will be defined by something other than the
>XML markup model.

Going even further, a significant proportion of XML applications will
not involve XML documents at all!  As long as applications use XML
APIs such as SAX or DOM, wire format can be anything.  I have seen too
many people get overhyped into using XML as the wire format when their
existing wire format works just fine.

Best,

Don Park    -   mailto:donpark@docuverse.com
Docuverse   -   http://www.docuverse.com