   Re: XML-DEV LIST ADMIN UPDATE

  • From: Steven Champeon <schampeo@hesketh.com>
  • To: Marcus Carr <mrc@allette.com.au>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 22:02:53 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 14 Apr 2000, Marcus Carr wrote:
> Don Park wrote:
>
> > Thank you for offering assurances, which I prefer over silence
> > and abandonment, but I do prefer real deeds over promises and
> > press releases.  Finally, I would like some words of appology
> > from OASIS.
>
> My understanding is that OASIS derive little if any benefit from hosting this
> list - if so, a bit more patience and a bit less bluster may be in order.

OASIS knew this when they offered to support the list. OASIS has also
ignored repeated pleas, from me and other xml-denizens, to fix the list
config to bring it back up to par with what is expected for a large,
professional public mailing list community.

Look, this isn't difficult, and it's not like we haven't tried to tell
OASIS what needs to be done - they don't have to go out and research how
to setup, configure, and maintain a large-scale mailing list; the basic
instructions have been emailed to them on several occasions. (Offers of
help have been sent on 2/2, 2/3, 2/7, 2/10, and 3/22. Thus far, I got a
reply from Henry, who can't do anything to the list config; and I think
one reply from Laura, saying thanks. Obviously, none of the measures I
suggested then have been implemented.)

I'd say that slack is the last thing we should be giving OASIS right
about now. I'm sorry if they had hardware problems; I'm sorry if they
are short-staffed; I'm sorry that they don't have the resources or the
time to live up to the intentions they stated when they took over the
list management. But as Don points out, they need to fish or cut bait.

I appreciate Laura at least acknowledging the problem. Now let's see a
solution. I should hope it's clear that many of us are more than
willing to help get things straightened out.

Steve
(ask me about how to fix the problems with xml-dev :)