   SAX and the doctype declaration

  • From: Matthew Gertner <matthew@praxis.cz>
  • To: xml-dev@xml.org
  • Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 19:48:20 -0500

I am using SAX to parse xCBL documents (a Commerce One model for
business processes using schemas and XML) and have run across a
potential problem with SAX. Commerce One uses the SOX schema language
and references the SOX DTD in the document instances using a standard
doctype declaration. However, the location of the DTD is indicated using
a URN rather than a URL. Unsurprisingly, the parser that I am using
(Xerces) does not have support for URNs. So I would like to write my own
method to resolve the URN and return the appropriate InputSource for the
DTD. But as far as I can tell, resolveEntity is not called for the
doctype. Is this a bug? Is there another way to do this that I am
missing? If the answers are yes and no, I wonder if it would be
appropriate to add some kind of support for this to SAX (perhaps using
resolveEntity as I initially expected) so that non-URL doctype locations
can be interpreted correctly.

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Matthew