   Re: SAX and the doctype declaration

  • From: "A. G. McDowell" <mcdowella@mcdowella.demon.co.uk>
  • To: xml-dev@xml.org
  • Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2000 07:17:38 +0100

In article <38F66AD3.88FFFA11@praxis.cz>, Matthew Gertner
<matthew@praxis.cz> writes
>I am using SAX to parse xCBL documents (a Commerce One model for
>business processes using schemas and XML) and have run across a
>potential problem with SAX. Commerce One uses the SOX schema language
>and references the SOX DTD in the document instances using a standard
>doctype declaration. However, the location of the DTD is indicated using
>a URN rather than a URL. Unsurprisingly, the parser that I am using
>(Xerces) does not have support for URNs. So I would like to write my own
>method to resolve the URN and return the appropriate InputSource for the
>DTD. But as far as I can tell, resolveEntity is not called for the
>doctype.
I had a problem with similar sounding symptoms, which I fixed by calling
setPublicId("") and setSystemId("") on my InputSource, before using it
to parse anything. From the following SAX documentation, I suspect that
it was setSystemId("") that did the trick:

The system identifier is optional if there is a byte stream or a
character stream, but it is still useful to provide one, since the
application can use it to resolve relative URIs and can include it in
error messages and warnings (the parser will attempt to open a
connection to the URI only if there is no byte stream or character
stream specified).

Does your URN look like a relative URI?
--
A. G. McDowell