   Re: Foreign Names

  • From: Steve Schafer <pandeng@telepath.com>
  • To: xml-dev@xml.org
  • Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2000 00:48:15 -0500

On Fri, 14 Apr 2000 18:13:40 -0700, <donpark@docuverse.com> wrote:

>Q1: When is it appropriate to use non-English tag names?

Whenever the XML author wants to.

>Q2: When is it not?

Whenever the users of the XML document would be expected to be able to
read and interpret the tag names, and said users can't read French.

>I think this issue is an important issue and merits discussion.

Why? It seems to me to be something that is entirely up to whoever is
devising the DTD or schema for a particular application of XML. I
certainly can't think of any justification for any sort of "global"
rules.

-Steve Schafer