   RE: Foreign Names

  • From: "Don Park" <donpark@docuverse.com>
  • To: "'XML-DEV (E-mail)'" <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2000 01:10:28 -0700

>I think Don Park's right for asking the question, Rick
>Jelliffe's right for questioning the question, and
>Steven Champeon's right that it should be an easy
>transformation.

Thanks Simon.  This is an issue that seems to be simple
at first glance, but explodes quickly into many complex
issues.  I just love what has been discussed so far and
am looking forward to where this discussion will lead to.

Few more points to raise:

1. All horizontal XML standards are based on western alphabets
   and English words.  I do not know what impact this will have
   later.

2. Most of the languages (C++, Java, Perl, Basic, JavaScript, SQL,
   etc.) used by software engineers around the world are based on
   western alphabets.  Variable and function names are also mostly
   English words or phrases variable and function names.  It would
   be very useful to know what problems non-English speaking
   engineers had in using English-biased languages.

Best,

Don Park    -   mailto:donpark@docuverse.com
Docuverse   -   http://www.docuverse.com