   RE: adding addressing capabilities to the DOM

  • From: "Julian Reschke" <reschke@medicaldataservice.de>
  • To: <aaron@skonnard.com>, "Xml-Dev@Xml. Org" <xml-dev@xml.org>, <www-dom@w3.org>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2000 13:06:47 +0200

I think that a programmatic way to bind values to variables in the XPath
expression would be extremely useful.

For instance consider:

	String s = "test with ' (single quote) and \" (double quote)";
	NodeList nl = node.getNodes ("xpath", "/foo/bar[@id='" + s + "']");

It is non-trivial to embed s into the XPath expression, because you can't
use single or double quotes to quote the string.

The best solution I have found so far is to construct the string expression
using XPath's concat() function if both types of quotes appear in the
string. I think it would be convenient to have an easier touse interface
where you can do something like

	NodeList nl = node.getNodes (xpath, "/foo/bar[@id=$var]",
variableAssignments);

(where variableAssigments would contain the mapping of variable names to
values). As XSLT processors are able to do this anyway, it should map nicely
into the processing model, right?

Julian