   Re: Multi-lingual experiment - a call for action

  • From: "Alexander Falk" <falk@icon.at>
  • To: <martind@netfolder.com>, "Xml-Dev" <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 09:50:51 +0200

Multi-lingual experiment - a call for actionHi,

I agree with the other responses to this suggestion:

a) translating the DTD doesn't help much, because then we won't be able to
produce one unified XML document that contains all the languages we need for
testing purposes

b) it would be better to include longer test passages in the sample document
so that there is something that can really be translated

Furthermore I would like to suggest this:

c) due to the inherent unsuitability of UCS-2 (aka Unicode 16-bit) for
transmission over the Internet in anything but ZIPped or Base-64 encoded
form, I would suggest we stick to UTF-8, which any suitable XML editor will
process correctly

Enough of the theory, maybe sticking to an established DOCTYPE (such as
XHTML 1.0 Strict) and producing a UTF-8 example document would be the
easiest way to go.

When we released version 2.5 of our XML editor "XML Spy"
(http://www.xmlspy.com) in June 99, we included an example file that
contains the sentence "When the world wants to talk, it speaks Unicode" in
about 20 or so different languages (the phrase itself was taken from an
invitation to one of the recent Unicode conferences). This file served to
demonstrate the full Unicode capabilities of our product.

I have updated the file to be conforming to the final XHTML 1.0 Strict DTD
and will put it up on our web-server for downloading - please feel free to
use this file as a starting point for adding further translations.

The file will be available in a few minutes at the following URL:

    http://www.xmlspy.com/WhenTheWorld.xhtml

Kind regards,

Alexander

... Icon Informations-Systeme GmbH