   RE: Multi-lingual experiment - a call for action

  • From: "Paulo Gaspar" <Paulo.Gaspar@krankikom.de>
  • To: "Xml-Dev" <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 15:18:56 +0200

Here's European Portuguese:

<!DOCTYPE experiência-xmldev [
  <!ELEMENT experiência-xmldev (item)+>
  <!ELEMENT item (título, autor, editor, preço)>
  <!ATTLIST item xml:lang CDATA #REQUIRED>
  <!ELEMENT título (#PCDATA)>
  <!ELEMENT autor (#PCDATA)>
  <!ELEMENT editor (#PCDATA)>
  <!ELEMENT preço (#PCDATA)>
  <!ELEMENT preço moeda CDATA #REQUIRED>
]>
<experiência-xmldev>
  <item xml:lang="português">
    <título>Guia de STL</título>
    <autor>David Musser</autor>
    <editor>Addison Wesley</editor>
    <preço moeda="escudo">5.400$50</preço>
  </item>
</experiência-xmldev>

Remarks:
 - This should be the same for Brasilian Portuguese, except
   for the currency. Keep in mind, however, that in other
   domains the choice of vocabulary could be quite different;

 - I am not so good at XML details and I thing the price
   format is just plain illegal. However, since we are going
   into internationalization questions, I wrote the price in
   the format of most popular use in Portugal.
   I am aware by now that this is one of the less known
   number formatting cases  - the '$' being used as decimal
   point. The decimal point is used as thousands separator,
   just like in German. We also use ',' as decimal point.

Due to the use of English software, many companies and
institutions are now using more "international" formats,
even on paper print. However, the formats I mentioned above
are still the most commonly used.

Have fun,

Paulo Gaspar