   Re: OASIS and XML-DEV [was RE: May a thousand XML-DEV's bloom - NOT!]

  • From: "David Brownell" <david-b@pacbell.net>
  • To: "Peter Murray-Rust" <peter@ursus.demon.co.uk>, <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 12:31:43 -0700

> (a) it takes time, effort and experience to run a
> mailing list. It is not something that OASIS has
> been accustomed to doing ...

There are groups that are much more accustomed to it,
and which also offer related services.

As an example, www.sourceforge.net offers a free
service that supports multiple archived lists,
CVS, a web site, and more.  They offer the servers,
and the community runs everything else.

I rather of like the idea of the xml-dev community
running itself in that way, rather than expecting
someone else to do it.

Oasis is well intentioned but not particularly involved
here, and I'm certain that one of the participants on
this list would have been glad to help resolve some of
the problems by small donations of time.  But the mere
notion of needing to pony up $250 to be able to donate
time through Oasis that helps fix minor sysadmin issues
boggles the mind.

One thing SourceForge offers that xml-dev has never
(to my knowledge) had is a real CVS setup.

It'd be interesting to get an xml-dev CVS server there,
give a few dozen developers from here permission to change
the repository (including integrating patches from
others, and updating the website), and see what happens.
There are itches that need scratching, after all!

(Anyone up for it?  GPL/LGPL code to donate? ...)

All that can go on without precluding Oasis from fixing
their problems and having the list stay at xml.org, note.
And if the list doesn't stay at Oasis, there are always
other services that offer professionally managed and
archived e-mail lists (in addition to SourceForge).

Though if anyone's really opposed to letting more XML
flowers bloom, they won't like such notions ... :-(

- Dave