   May a thousand XML-DEV's bloom - NOT!

  • From: "Box, Don" <dbox@develop.com>
  • To: "'xml-dev@xml.org'" <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 10:09:29 -0700

The primary benefit of XML-DEV is that it is a concentration point of
discussion. I think the worst thing that could happen would be for 5-10
different lists to emerge from the OASIS debacle. As a relative newbie to
XML (2Q98), my understanding is that Peter Murray-Rust is the spiritual
owner of this list. I think we should all respect that and move en masse
with Peter rather than having a dozen splinter lists spring from the ashes.
I personally have a hard enough time following one list. The last thing I
want is to have to track 6 lists instead of 1.

There is no shortage of organizations that could take over the day-to-day
operations of the list. The W3C or O'Reilly's XML.com site would be the most
natural homes IMHO. Barring that, there are plenty of civic-minded companies
in this space that would be happy to take over the workload (yes, my
employer is one of them) in a banner-ad free environment.

Hopefully, OASIS will fix things and we can all go back to work.

DB
http://www.develop.com/dbox