   Re: OASIS and XML-DEV [was RE: May a thousand XML-DEV's bloom - NOT!]

  • From: Peter Murray-Rust <peter@ursus.demon.co.uk>
  • To: <xml-dev@XML.ORG>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 09:02:45 +0100

At 12:31 PM 4/17/00 -0700, David Brownell wrote:

>I rather of like the idea of the xml-dev community
>running itself in that way, rather than expecting
>someone else to do it.

David,
	Thanks very much for this posting - it looks promising.

>Oasis is well intentioned but not particularly involved
>here, and I'm certain that one of the participants on
>this list would have been glad to help resolve some of
>the problems by small donations of time.  But the mere
>notion of needing to pony up $250 to be able to donate
>time through Oasis that helps fix minor sysadmin issues
>boggles the mind.

Yes - I agree - OASIS is not - at present - really aligned towards
individuals being involved and I think this is a pity. I had seen OASIS
rather as the equivalent of a learned society where individuals had a role.
$250 is out of my price bracket and, as you say, discourages volunteers.

>One thing SourceForge offers that xml-dev has never
>(to my knowledge) had is a real CVS setup.

>It'd be interesting to get an xml-dev CVS server there,
>give a few dozen developers from here permission to change
>the repository (including integrating patches from
>others, and updating the website), and see what happens.
>There are itches that need scratching, after all!

Could you expand on the role of CVS? This suggests - and it looks a welcome
idea - that there would be an xml-dev site with activities other than a
mailing list and archive. Would it have a role in the archive?

>(Anyone up for it?  GPL/LGPL code to donate? ...)
>

>All that can go on without precluding Oasis from fixing
>their problems and having the list stay at xml.org, note.

This looks an interesting way forward - could you elaborate on how it would
work?

>And if the list doesn't stay at Oasis, there are always
>other services that offer professionally managed and
>archived e-mail lists (in addition to SourceForge).
>
>Though if anyone's really opposed to letting more XML
>flowers bloom, they won't like such notions ... :-(

I am - of course - extremely keen to see flowers bloom and your posting
looks like a seed.

	P.