   RE: XUL and Java?

  • From: "Paulo Gaspar" <Paulo.Gaspar@krankikom.de>
  • To: "Xml-Dev" <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 16:31:08 +0200

I had the same nasty "thrown together over night" feelling about
the XUL and some other Mozzila stuff - some great ideas but not
enough pollishing.

However, I thing the general idea is very good.

The current XForms evolution is interesting too. The current data
model does not live up to my expectations, but I hope they evolve
to match the requirements high standards.

My favorite thing in the XForms requests:

 - separation between data and presentatation issues.

My complains about the Data Model draft:
(http://www.w3.org/TR/xforms-datamodel/)
 - Not enough mention of internationalization, when issues that
   involve it - as multiple choice lists and data validation -
   are mentioned;
 - No mention of "user-metadata" when talking about validation.
   Data definitions and error handling imply telling the user
   WHAT is wrong in a way he can understand. I found no clear
   mention of that. (Did I miss a hook to be handled somewhere
   else);
 - Too much dependency on the existence of a DOM;
 - Still a bit promiscous with presentation issues.

DOMs and their access by scripting languages are complex. I think
that XSLT could be used as a validation mechanism on top of the
schemas, and it could be quite powerful. (XForms are to post data
in XML format.)

XSLT is a quite powerfull tool, but many programmers don' seem to
recognize it (also in Mozzila). It is a different way of thinking,
but worth giving a try for many data processing/formating tasks.
Much nicer and cleanner than coding a bunch of iterations.

Even without this being a standard, I would have some kind of
XForms NOW! Even for our internal tools, that could help a lot.

Have fun,

Paulo