   Re: Parameterizing namespaces - possible?

  • From: Ray Whitmer <ray@xmission.com>
  • To: "Christopher R. Maden" <crism@exemplary.net>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 11:01:49 -0600 (MDT)

On Mon, 17 Apr 2000, Christopher R. Maden wrote:

> On 4/16/00, 5:09:28 PM, Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com> wrote regarding
> Re: Parameterizing namespaces - possible?:
> > No... what you have above should work.  If you read the fine print the
> > extra spaces don't apply when it's in the replacement text of another
> > entity reference.  So %html.name; indeed expands to "html:html"
>
> That's what I thought, until Simon challenged me on it.  I couldn't
> find the wording in the XML Rec that made that legal.  I'm certain
> that it's there; this rule has been an article of faith for several
> years now.  [Wow... XML for "several years".]  Can you point me to the
> appropriate section of the Rec, please?

First, examine the table at XML 4.4.

Note, that "Reference in entity value" is separate from "Reference in DTD".

The note on "Reference in entity value" clarifies that this is in an entity
declaration.  The note on "Reference in DTD" clarifies that it excludes
inside an attribute value or an entity value [which can both occur inside
of a DTD, which is an internal subset or external DTD].

Now, it is quite simple to go down below and clarify that the Parameter
lookup on "Reference in entity value" calls for "Included as literal"
behavior, which is the same behavior used for general entities, which
makes no mention of appending spaces to the ends, whereas ther Parameter
lookup on "Reference in DTD" calls for "Included as PE" which is the
alternative behavior which calls for appending a space to either end.

There is an example in 4.4.5 which almost shows this -- it does not show
the actual output, but the obviously-desirable output would only be
achieved by literal inclusion.

There is another example in 4.5 which almost also shows this -- it does
not show the actual output, but the obviously-desirable output (no space
before the period) is only achieved with literal inclusion.

Ray Whitmer
ray@xmission.com