   RE: Multi-lingual experiment - other languages needed

  • From: Peter Murray-Rust <peter@ursus.demon.co.uk>
  • To: "Xml-Dev" <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 12:09:55 +0100

Firstly to say that this is a wonderful idea and it is great to see people
collaborating.

It's also useful to see non ISO-Latin encodings being used. This will
really give us a real test of whether XML can really cope with
multilinguality. [I agree with an earlier post that it would be useful to
see a greater amount of running text in the examples. I would be interested
to see examples that required formatting options other than left to right]

However I suspect that mailing all contributions **to the list** might
cause some problems on some mailers, and possibly also with the
hypermailer. Our tradition has been for a single person (presumably Didier
in this case) to act as the focus and then to report back to the list on a
regular basis. This also has the benefit that the material can be collected
in files/pages and does not need to be sent through mailers. Explanatory
material on how to customise our browsers and mailers would also be useful.

I really look forward to seeing the finished collection.

	P.

PS - it would be interesting to know what the global spread of XML-DEV
membership was; I suspect Henry has some data on domain names of members up
to 2000-01. Please take this as a greeting to all of you, and if there are
country/culture-specific
aspects of XML please share them with us.

PPS - try to keep down the volume of quoted material and remove the list
signature

	P.