   Re: Foreign Names

  • From: "Dongwook Shin" <dwshin@nlm.nih.gov>
  • To: "Eldar Musayev" <eldarm@microsoft.com>, <philipnye@freenet.co.uk>, "XML Developers' list" <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 18:00:45 -0400

Eldar wrote:

> I even don't mention that every teenager in Russia knows
> at least three alphabets - Russian, Latin (most commonly referred as
> English) and Greek, and usually can read in some Latin-alphabet-based
> language. And I believe that's not just Russia. That's what
> they call European education there, over the ocean.
> And Asian countries also pay a lot of attention to education,
> so when it come to development, internationalization efforts
> are often taken too seriously for what they worth.
> Important thing is internationalization of interfaces and GUIs.

I believe that internationalzation is not that simple. If you only pay
attention to interfaces and GUIs, you may get into trouble.
A typical example was the Korean pre-release version of Microsoft
Windows-9? (I am sorry I forgot the exact version). At that time,
the Korean code was not alphabetically well sorted as Korean
expects. With some resistance, they changed :-)

Another issue is that some languages do not have space between words.
Japanese does not have any space among words in a sentence. Korean
compound words are even irregular. Either way is right if you have space
among
constituent words in a compound word or not.

I agree that we sometimes take too seriously for these things, but I can say
they is someting more than GUIs.

Dongwook