   Fixing the OASIS mail lists

  • From: Bill Smith <bill.smith@sun.com>
  • To: xml-dev@xml.org
  • Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 13:59:41 -0700

As President of OASIS, I would like to acknowledge the significant
problems that this and other OASIS lists have been experiencing.
I would also like to apologize for the time it has taken to resolve
these problems. I can understand the very real frustration of list
participants and would like to explain the steps that OASIS is now
taking.

Our first priority is to ensure that the lists function correctly
in transporting messages.

1. Karl Best has been appointed Director of Technical Operations
   for OASIS. OASIS will for the first time have a paid employee
   in a position that until now has relied on volunteer labor.
   Karl begins work on 21 April, and his responsibilities include
   ensuring that our mail lists function properly.

2. Norm Walsh has agreed to assist in configuring and maintaining
   the mail lists. He will join Karl in this effort beginning Monday
   24 April.

3. Other resources will be applied where appropriate.

Once the lists are operating correctly, Karl and Norm will
investigate arrangements with our ISP and recommend measures to
improve response time. If necessary, the lists will be moved to a
different provider, or other steps will be taken to ensure that our
lists are operated in a professional manner.

Given the nature of the problems reported to me, I doubt that it
will be possible to correct all of them by 23 April. It is my
intention to resolve them as quickly as possible, but proper
resolution will require investigation, analysis of options, and
execution of a plan of action.

You have my assurance that this is a priority with OASIS and will
be done with all due haste. I ask that you give Karl and Norm your
support and allow them the time to analyze and correct these problems
in a professional manner.

Bill Smith
President, OASIS