   RE: adding addressing capabilities to the DOM

  • From: Tyson Chihaya <Tyson@DataChannel.com>
  • To: "'francis@redrice.com'" <francis@redrice.com>, www-dom@w3.org
  • Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 11:21:20 -0700

It seems to me that Joe is speaking more to the case where the DOM is
completely in memory.  As someone who has implemented a DOM on top of a
database, I have to agree with Francis here and say that providing a way to
delegate responsibility for evaluating XPaths (or other types of queries in
the future) into the implementation is vital.  In our implementation, we
take XPath queries (on any element node) and convert them into SQL
statements (and then create nodes that belong to the document on the way
back).  I'm not sure how we could have accomplished this otherwise.
Francis' point about not building a database query language into a database
engine is a good one.

I think I agree with Joe's third point:

> 3) It is unclear that a querying API actually belongs inside the DOM at
> all. One can argue that querying applies across document models -- one
> might wish to apply a query to a SAX stream, for example -- and thus it
may
> want an independent API, which DOM implementations could support but which
> might also be available in other contexts.

..which I think is saying that we might want a generic XPath API that DOM
implementations could support.  Although it almost seems as if an XPath API
would dictate that results be returned in a certain way-- as DOM nodes, as
SAX events (I'm really unclear about how a query interface for SAX would
work--sounds more like a filter than a query), etc.

--tyson