   RE: XML Schema project

  • From: Curt Arnold <curta_ontheroad@yahoo.com>
  • To: xml-dev@xml.org
  • Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2000 00:58:31 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks for the vote of confidence.  I'm not sure how
all the pieces will fit together, but I've always
liked puzzles.

The first series of transforms leads from the XML
Schema language to what I'll call a package of Schema
"bytecode" (don't worry it is still XML).  The
"bytecode" will be roughly approximate to the objects
that a validating parser would build out when
processing a schema prior to validating a document.
(I have some vague ideas of what it is going to look
like).  The "bytecode" will have every piece of
information relevant to document validation that was
in the original schema document.

What you do with this "bytecode" is then fairly open.

It could be embedded in a document or referenced as a
resource to be used in the validation of the document.

One product from the bytecode could be the source for
a application-specific validator object for the parser
of your choice in the language of your choice.  For
example, a purchase order validator in Java for
Xerces.

The generated code could be a lossless interpretation
of the schema constraints.  However, you could also
generate a DTD from the "bytecode" which would, of
course, lose those features that can't enforce in a
DTD.

In the same light, if schematron or XSLT in general is
not capable of enforcing some constraint, it could
still be useful to generate schematron or XSLT code
for what it can enforce.

My initial impression is that RELAX could be converted
into "bytecode" without loss and "bytecode" could be
converted into RELAX but constraints could be lost.

Given the recent performance of xml-dev and the
possibly small set of subscribers that would be
interested in a in-depth discussion of these issues, I
think that having them on xml-dev is not optimal.

I'd suggest that anyone interested in further
discussions on this to visit the XSDComp Open
Discussion Forum

It is not necessary to register with SourceForge to
view the Forum, however you will need to if you want
to  post or "monitor" the forum.  Monitoring the forum
will result in any posted message being automatically
emailed to you.  Posting to the forum is through HTML
pages.  I think the forum will be a better venue than
the XSDComp mailing list.