   Growth of XML Content

  • From: "Leonor Ciarlone" <ciarlone@world.std.com>
  • To: <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 12:03:48 -0400

I'm searching for statistics on the use and growth of XML-based content to
tie into a hypothesis that solutions for B2B, B2C, B2E and subsequent
wireless applications will require scaleable solutions for realtime XML
indexing and search capabilities.

>From the recent discussion on "XML and Search Engines" its clear this group
has differing opinions on whether small, topic/discipline-specific search
engines or "cross-domain" searching encompassing multiple DTDs will be
required.  Its also clear that vendors recognize a need and are developing
solutions.

Rather than re-hashing that conversation, suffice it to say that it (and the
W3C XQL work) points to the need to solve an impending problem.  My question
is, who has stats on how big the problem is??  Or is expected to become?
Thanks

Leonor Ciarlone
a 2 year XML-Dev (appreciative) "lurker" ;-)