   List server progress...

  • From: Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>
  • To: xml-dev@xml.org
  • Date: 25 Apr 2000 10:50:42 -0400

Hello world,

Just a quick update. Several people suggested that DNS was a
potential throughput bottleneck and that the list server machine
should be running a caching DNS server, if it wasn't already.

It wasn't, but now it is. I expect that it'll take a few hours,
at least, before we'll know if (or how much) of an improvement
this is.

Several people also suggested replacing sendmail with a
different transfer agent. I may do that, but load on this
machine is so low (typically much less than 1) that I'm not sure
it'll matter much.

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

P.S. I hope, by the end of the week say, to have the web archive
of xml-dev back in reasonable shape. It'll probably take me a
little bit longer to get it to the point where it updates
automatically, but at least the whole archive up through some
point this week will be back online.

--
Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> | Success is relative; it is what we make
http://nwalsh.com/            | of the mess we have made of things.--T.