   List server progress...

  • From: Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>
  • To: xml-dev@xml.org
  • Date: 25 Apr 2000 10:50:42 -0400

Hello world,

Just a quick update. Several people suggested that DNS was a
potential throughput bottleneck and that the list server machine
should be running a caching DNS server, if it wasn't already.

It wasn't, but now it is. I expect that it'll take a few hours,
at least, before we'll know if (or how much) of an improvement
this is.

Several people also suggested replacing sendmail with a
different transfer agent. I may do that, but load on this
machine is so low (typically much less than 1) that I'm not sure
it'll matter much.

                                        Be seeing you,

P.S. I hope, by the end of the week say, to have the web archive
of xml-dev back in reasonable shape. It'll probably take me a
little bit longer to get it to the point where it updates
automatically, but at least the whole archive up through some
point this week will be back online.

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> | Success is relative; it is what we make
http://nwalsh.com/            | of the mess we have made of things.--T.