   Re: Official ISO 639 changes

  • From: Michael Everson <everson@egt.ie>
  • To: unicode@unicode.org
  • Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 19:31:05 +0100

XML will want to take advantage of the increased functionality which the
revision of RFC 1766 (to include ISO 639-2 codes) will permit.

Ar 09:24 -0800 2000-04-25, scríobh Elliotte Rusty Harold:

>Has anybody noticed that XML 1.0 requires 2-letter and forbids
>three-letter language codes? From section 2.1.2 of the XML 1.0 spec:
>
>The Langcode may be any of the following:
>
>   a two-letter language code as defined by [ISO 639], "Codes for the
>   representation of names
>   a language identifier registered with the Internet Assigned
>   Numbers Authority [IANA]; these begin with the prefix "i-" (or "I-")
>   a language identifier assigned by the user, or agreed on between parties
>   in private use; these must begin with the prefix "x-" or "X-" in
>   order to ensure that they do not conflict with names later
>   standardized or registered with IANA
>
>Production 35 enforces this constraint.
>I think XML needs another erratum here to fix this.

Please wait until the RFC 1766 revision is published.

Michael Everson  **  Everson Gunn Teoranta  **   http://www.egt.ie
Vox +353 1 478 2597 ** Fax +353 1 478 2597 ** Mob +353 86 807 9169
27 Páirc an Fhéithlinn;  Baile an Bhóthair;  Co. Átha Cliath; Éire