   RE: what Napster means for XML

  • From: Matthew Fuchs <matthew.fuchs@commerceone.com>
  • To: "'David Megginson'" <david@megginson.com>, xml-dev@xml.org
  • Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 11:39:24 -0700

David,

This situation - popular information is easily available, less popular
information may be unavailable most (or eventually all) of the time - is no
different from the current situation.  Even without Napster, popular
information is easy to find (in bookstores, video rentals, etc.), and less
popular information is not (some books I can grab at the bookstore down the
street; some I can order from Amazon; some are out of print, but I can get
at the library; some are rare and I actually need to travel to get them; and
some are simply lost to the sands of time).

The Web drastically increases the availability of rare information.  I'm
sure you realize there will be a variety of ways to locate information, of
which the Napster model is but one.  Some will involve caching information.

I also know you're way to experienced a developer to leave the only copy of
important information on your laptop.  (And why use a cable modem when
you'll be able to go wireless?)

Matthew