   RE: PC Week on "Why XML is Failing" ?????

  • From: "Steven Livingstone" <s.livingstone@btinternet.com>
  • To: <xml-dev@xml.org>, <john_taschek@ziffdavis.com>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 23:13:29 +0100

In the world of XML, we can map between different schema's for an particular
industry anyway.

Anyway, sure there are a couple of examples of large companies creating
their own schema's, but as these are published, the best will rise to the
top and be used by the many large, medium and small business across the
world.

I am involved in a project which will be promoting schema re-use to 240,000
businesses and if a schema exists, we will re-use it - eg. HR shemas, order
exchange, advertising schemas, news and article shema's to name but a few.
We wouldn't consider any other method !!

I don't think we could (or ever expected) everyone to agree on one schema
for any industry, but there *will* emerge a limited number of re-usable
standard schemas and hence a limited number of mappings between them.

If it end's up GM, Ford, DC and then Volkswagen devlop to different schemas
re-used throughout the automobile industry, where is the problem??

Regards,
Steven

Author
Pro XML
http://www.wrox.com/Consumer/Store/Details.asp?ISBN=1861003110
Pro Site Server 3, Wrox Press
http://www.wrox.com/Consumer/Store/Details.asp?ISBN=1861002696
Pro Site Server 3.0 Commerce Edition, Wrox Press
http://www.wrox.com/Consumer/Store/Details.asp?ISBN=1861002505

Steven Livingstone
Glasgow, Scotland.
07771 957 280 or +447771957280