   Multiplication of standards (was: RE: PC Week on "Why XML is Failing" ??

  • From: Eldar Musayev <eldarm@microsoft.com>
  • To: xml-dev@xml.org
  • Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 16:08:04 -0700

Number of XML applications, of course, is not a problem,
even without Biztalk/OASIS, that's what XSLT is for.
However when we talk about other kinds of standards
like XLink, XPath, XSchema, X...,
sprouting out as mushrooms after the rain, it may be
very well a problem. Looks like we got a new paradygm
of programming in XML and now trying to fit in all
the von Neuman/structured/OOP programming developed for
about 40 years. Good example - XSchema/XSD vs. IDL.

And don't say that all these languages has a good reason
to be, sure they have! It's just that we build a parallel
universe, instead of improving existing one. And building
parallel universes has some intrinsic dangers.

Eldar

-----
Eldar A. Musayev, Ph.D.
eldarm@microsoft.com