   Re: List server: another timing test (results and questions)

  • From: "Clark C. Evans" <cce@clarkevans.com>
  • To: Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 13:13:04 -0400 (EDT)
On 27 Apr 2000, Norman Walsh wrote:
> Changing MTAs is a possibility

I've run postfix (instead of sendmail) with rather
good results; I had a small (2000) member list a
while back that I was administering; it cut the average
delivery time by several minutes.  I think a bulk of the
time savings had to do with delivering multiple names
at once to the same domain (like aol.com);  I can't say
I really understood how it all worked... only that it
was quite a bit faster.

> changing list servers is a possibility

I've been running mailman instead of majordomo; but
I think that it is slower... but maybye this is my
imagination.  Isn't majordomo perl?   There has to
be a list server written in C somewhere....

> upgrading hardware is a possibility

I guess it would be good to look at
memory/cpu usage during a period when
several messages hit at once.   I'm not